Here goes the recipe ...........
This dish has two steps :
1. Preparation of the chicken tikka
2. Preparation of the gravy.
Preparation the Chicken Tikka :
These tikkas can be enjoyed as an appetizer.You can grill or bake or barbecue them.This time I pan grilled them ,but any process is good enough for the tikkas.
Ingredients for Chicken Tikka:
1. Boneless chicken : 1 lb (cut in small cubes)
2. Ginger & garlic paste : 1 tb sp
3. Salt : to taste(Always taste the salt in your marinade before you add the chicken)
4. Garam Masala : 1/2 tsp
5. Coriander Powder : 1 tb sp
6. Cumin Powder : 1 tsp
7. Oil : 2 tsp
8. Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
9 .Yugurt : 2 tb sp
10.Lime juice 2 tb sp
10.Lime juice 2 tb sp
Procedure for Chicken Tikka :
1. Mix all the marinade except chicken and adjust your salt level.Add chicken cubes and keep it for at least 1 hour.You can keep it for a day,if you have time or you plan ahead.Overnight maritation gives the best result.
2. In a pan add a tsp oil and pan fry the chicken cubes for 10 -15 minutes or until done.(Don't wash the pan if you are going to make butter chicken ,Use the same pan,the flavor will be really nice)
Chicken tikka is ready.if you are having as an appetizer then squeeze some lemon juice on top and it tastes awesome.I always munch on few tikkas in the process of cooking.just can't resist :)
Preparation of the gravy:
Ingredients for chicken Butter masala gravy :
1. Onion : 1 cup (Chopped)
2. Tomato : 1 cup (chopped, Use the bright red color tomato)
3. Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi) : 1 tb sp
4. Sugar : 1 tsp
5. Tomato ketchup - 1-2 tb sp
6. Corriander powder : 1 tsp
7. Cumin Powder : 1/2 tsp
8. Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
9. Red chilly Powder : 1/4 - 1/2 tsp or green chillies : 2
10.Cashew : 10 numbers
11. Butter : 2 tb sp
12. Cream : Optional
13. Red Food Colour : Optional optional,if you want that resturant like look then go ahead and add(I did
not add colour)
Procedure for chicken Butter masala gravy :
1. In the same pan heat oil,add chopped onion.When onions are transparent add ginger garlic paste .When you get the nice smell of ginger garlic paste, then add the chopped tomato.
2. Saute the tomatos for 1 minute and add coriander powder,cumin powder,garam masala, red chilly
powder and cashews. Cook these spices for 3-4 minutes or until cooked.(yo can add 1-2 tbsp water if
you feel it is dry)you will know it is cooked by the texture and smell.Add some crushed Fenugreek
leaves and mix well..It looks very mushy and the raw smell of the spices will go away.
3. Cool down this mixture for some time and blend it in a blender to a fine puree.
4. Don't wash the pan yet......we want the full flavor in our butter chicken.So in the same pan add 1
tsp of butter and pour in the puree you just prepared. Bring it to boil.
5. Now time to add the chicken tikkas to the boiling gravy.The gravy is already cooked,so no need to
cook for a very long time now.Just cook for 5-7 minutes.You can see the silky texture of the
gravy.Add the tomato ketchup and adjust your seasoning now.Now is the time to add your optional
ingredients: The red food colour and and cream.(I didn't add any).
6. While serving top it with the rest 1 tb sp of butter.
Serve with hot naans or roti(Indian flat bread) and you will be licking your fingers.Enjoy and happy cooking.