As soon as I reach home in evening after work I start to munch on something... be it dry fruits or fresh fruits(whatever comes in front of my eyes).The other day I ate some dates and walnuts together and liked it and then googled for recipes.. I came across many and tried to tweak a few and the end result was just to die for . I was really skeptical about the cake(I was thinking how will the cake rise and get the fluffy texture without eggs), until I flipped the cake to the serving plate and oh,,it was so moist and fluffy too. It was FIFA finals day and our friends were coming over for the game and my new experiment of vegan cake was quality tested and recommended. Now I can't wait to go to India and make this cake for my in-laws, hence this post is dedicated to my loving parent -in -laws.
Here goes the recipe:
1. All Purpose Flour : 2.5 cups
2. Pitted dates : 20-25 numbers
3. Sweetened Condensed Milk : 300 ml
4. Melted butter : 1/3 cup -1/4 cup
5. Honey : 1 tb sp (optional)
6.Baking powder : 1 1/4 tsp\
7. Baking Soda : 1/2 tsp
8. Milk : 1 cup + if required to thin the cake batter
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F.
2. Soak the date in hot milk for 20 mins and to make a puree blend it in a blender adding as little as milk needed.Keep thee rest of the milk for later use.
(Click on the picture to enlarge)3. Sieve the Flour,baking powder,baking soda and keep it aside.
4. In a deep bowl pour sweetened condensed milk and melted butter and beat with a hand blender(or
manual beater) for about 7-8 minutes.The texture should be as shown in pictures.
5. While adding rest of the ingredients don't beat it vigourously just mix well with a spatula.
6. Add the date puree ,give it a mix.
7. Add flour,baking powder,baking soda mixture to the batter slowly incorporating the flour into the
batter. If you feel the batter is too hard then add some milk.The consistency should be as shown in the picture.
8. Now coat the chopped walnuts in some flour and fold into the batter.
9. Pour the batter in to a greased and floured baking dish and slide into the oven for 40 minutes at 350
degree F.As each oven works differently , test it by inserting a knife time to time, take the cake out as
soon as knife comes out clean.
10. Cool the cake for about 15 minutes before you serve. It tastes best warm and it can be stored in
refrigerator for about 2 weeks and can be microwaved for 15 seconds and can be enjoyed at a later
Thanks for stopping by and enjoy this moist vegetarian cake and I would be more than happy to hear from you.