Turkey Lasagna is one of the dishes I love to make and eat. As I love to eat different verity of food, get bored of monotonous food very quickly.If I'm asked the best thing of being in Toronto,,then I would say the FOOD.The choice of food that I got here is just countless.You see the entire zona of food horizon....say Italian ,Mexican, Thai, Indian, Japanese,Caribbean,,,,I can just go on and on.I have one rule eat everything you like and have a regular work out schedule.It is very important to stay healthy,so I make sure I get all the nutrients in my food and never constrain myself of eating something.One of the things I love to eat is cheese.,,Now you know why I love this lasagna,,,,yes,,,it has lotsa cheese.
Here goes the recipe:
I have used a 9X9 baking dish,which is good enough for 4-5 people.
(Click on the picture to enlarge)
1. Lasagna noodle(It is flat verity of noodle specially used for lasagna,so is the name I guess) - 6
2. mozzarella cheese - 1 cup
3. ricotta cheese - 1 cup
4. Egg -1
5. Chopped Celery - 4 tb sp
6. Chopped garlic -2 tb sp
7. Chopped Red bell pepper - 1 tb sp
8. Dried Oregano - 1 tsp
9. Dried parsley - 1 tbsp
10. Mince Turkey - 1lb
11. Pasta sauce- 2 cups
12. Grated part skim Mozzarella - 1 cup
13. Grated cheddar cheese - 1/2 cup
14. Grated Parmesan cheese - 1 tb sp
15. Olive Oil - 2 tb sp
First prepare the meat sauce and then assemble all the ingredients to slip into the preheated oven.
Meat Sauce preparation:
1. Pour 1 tb sp Olive oil on a hot skillet and keep all the veggies ready.Toss in garlic,celery and red bell pepper(You can add veggies of your choice here like carrot,different coloured bell peppers,,but everything should be finely chopped,so that you don't any big bites of veggies while eating lasagna).
2. After a minute add the minced turkey breast(I like to use leaner meat and turkey breast is lean,You can do variation with any meat you prefer). Add salt to your taste.
3. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the meat is done.Add the Classico pasta sauce to the meat. Here any sauce will do but I like Classico`s sauces as they are very flavourful. I have used here Tomato & Pesto flavoured one.
4.Add dried Oregano , parsley and mix well.Taste the sauce, isn't it yummy.Keep it aside.
Now we will cook lasagna pasta and then assemble the Lasagna:
The second step is cook the lasagna pasta:
1. Boil enough water for 4 pieces of lasagna noodles.Add some salt to the boiling water.Lasagna noodles are long but once you put them in water they will soften,,,so you really don't need a big big vessel to cook them. Cook for about 7 minutes.Drain them and brush little oil and keep aside.
The third step is to make the ricotta mixture:
1. Mix ricotta cheese, 1egg,1 tb sp Oregano and 1 tbsp Parsley ,Keep it aside.The herbs you use can be fresh or dry.I have used dry here,just because I had them handy in my pantry.
Now the last step, assemble the lasagna:
1.Preheat the oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes before you pop in the assembled Lasagna
2. Now you are ready with all the ingredients,
First layer: Spread the meat sauce evenly on the bottom of your baking dish.
Second layer: A layer of lasagna noodles.Layer the noodles evenly in a single layer,you can cut them short to fit your baking dish.
Third layer: The ricotta mixture.Try to spread each layer evenly and the ricotta layers adds a lot of flavour to the lasagna.
Fourth Layer: Another single layer of Lasagna noodles
Fifth Layer : Meat sauce
Sixth Layer: Ricotta mixture
Top Layer: Spread the grated Mozzarella cheese evenly on top.Here I added some cheddar cheese.But the cheddar cheese is absolutely optional.
3. Cover the baking dish with an aluminium foil
4. Bake for 30 minutes covered at 350 degree Fahrenheit .
5. Now uncover the aluminium foil and sprinkle some Parmesan on top and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Now the Turkey Lasagna is ready and let it sit for 10 minutes and cut through to plate it