I had these red bean buns in one of the Chinese bakery.Chinese bakeries always have many variety of buns,breads,cookies.Buns are widely two types steamed and baked with as many types of fillings you can think of,,,beef pork,chicken,veggies,beans.As I love baking so I thought of making the baked variety.it came out good and is a nice breakfast,snacks option if you make it ahead of time,But nothing can beat any fresh baked good for sure.The filling stays good in refrigerator for a long time so you can make ahead and whenever you have time can make different stuffs,,After I made these buns I was left with some red bean paste and I had tried stuffed parathas(Indian stuffed flat bread) and they also came out well,,,tasted kind of puran poli.So you have endless options with the paste.
Here I'll divide the making process into two parts:
- Red bean paste making
- Bun making
This recipe makes 10 buns.
Red Bean Paste :
Ingredients for Red Bean paste:
1. Kidney beans - 1 cup (soaked overnight)
2. Sugar - As per your taste(I used approx 1/2 cup)
1. Once the kidney beans are nicely soaked in water over night you put in on a blender and make a
thick fine paste as shown in picture.
2. Heat a pan and pour the bean paste ,Keep stirring,I used a non-stick pan so was easy.Once the bean
paste thickens, add sugar and adjust to your taste.You will know Bean paste is ready, when you can
draw a line in the pan.
3. Let the bean paste cool down a little bit until you can form balls from the paste.Apply some oil in
your palms and make small balls. Keep them aside.
You can put the paste in a zip lock and keep in refrigerator for about 1-2 weeks and can use in any other recipes as well.
Bun making :
The Bun is made from the regular yeast dough.
Ingredients for the Bun :
1. All purpose flour : 1 cup
2. Milk Powder : 1/8 cup (Optional )
3. Yeast : 1 tsp
4. warm water : 1/2 cup (you can substitute milk)
5. Sugar : 1/2 tsp (for yeast to be active)
6. Salt : 1 pinch (for yeast to be active)
7. Egg : 1 (for egg wash--Can be replaced by milk if you want a complete vegan version)
8. Sesame seed : 1 tb sp(Optional for decoration)
Procedure for buns:
The entire process takes around 1hr 30 mins to 2 hrs.Plan so as to fit in your other chores in between so that you don't feel its a time consuming stuff.
1. In bowl of warm milk/ water mix in the yeast,sugar and salt and leave it for about 10 minutes.You should see frothy stuff,,if at the end of 10 minutes its not frothy then its no good.throw it and start all over again.The reason why the yeast wont react is may be the milk is too hot to kill the yeast .And sometimes the yeast is very old and not good to use any more then throw that and buy a new packet.
2.Make a dough using this yeast mixture to the flour.And keep it aside for 1 hour in a warm place.
3. After 1 hour the dough would have risen to double the original size. Punch the dough and keep another 10 mins.
4. Then make small balls with it and keep it covered with the kitchen towel so that they won't dry out.
5. Take a ball of the dough and put the red bean paste ball in it and wrap to make the bun and keep in the baking sheet with the seal side down.Repeat this with all the balls and let it sit for 10 more minutes.Now switch on your Oven ,so that it reaches the baking temperature when you slide in the buns.
6. Now the Flower part comes.To give the shape of a flower as the name says, cut the sides with a pair of scissors as shown in the picture.
8. Slide the tray into the preheated oven and bake in 350 Degrees for about 30 minutes.You can see nice golden brown colour on top.
Now these beauties are ready to munch one.
Thanks for visiting and happy cooking.