Jalebis are one of festive sweets in India.In northern part of India it is served in breakfast also, but rest of India it is a desert.My husband loves this a lot,Today while talking with my in-laws,,jalebi topic came so i though of posting this recipe.It is easy but little tricky.Traditionally they ferment the dough over-night,but here I use yeast for doing the same thing but save some time.It can se served hot or cold.
Here goes the recipe...
1/2 cup All Purpose flour
1/2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp sugar
About 1/3 cup of lukewarm water (as needed)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
Pinch of cardamom powder
Few strands of saffron(optional)
1 teaspoon of lemon juice(to control the cristalization)
Oil for frying
1. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in luke warm water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
2. Mix the al purpose flour,gram flour(besan),oil.
3. Pour the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and make a smooth paste.
4. Let the batter sit for 1 hour.Don't let it over ferment.
1. Boil the water and sugar together 10 minutes.
2. Add cadamom and safron to the water and switch off the flame.
Jalebi making procedure:
1. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.Test the oil putting a drop of batter.if it floats immediately then the oil is ready for fryingJalebis.
2. Pour the batter in a squeeze bottle as shown in the picture.You can replace the zip lock with a hole in it.But I always use the squeeze bottle.